Search This Blog

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Writing Process Blog Hop #3: Satima Flavell

Satima Flavell, who is a WA writer with the novel The Dagger Of Dresnia under her belt, actually has a blog of her own, at satimaflavell.blogspot.com, but thought it might be good to post here, to reach a different audience, and has invited me to post on her blog. So here it is, the writing process of Satima Flavell!



What are you working on?

The Cloak of Challiver, book two of The Talismans Trilogy. It takes place a couple of decades after book one, The Dagger of Dresnia (Satalyte Publishing, Foster, Victoria, 2014) and the main characters are Ellyria's grandchildren.


How does your work differ from others in your genre?

My protag, Ellyria, is a woman in her forties, rather than a young person. I think a lot of older women read high fantasy and they might enjoy seeing their own struggles mirrored in the trilogy. There are younger people in the sub-plots to provide romantic interest - and of course there are battles and lots of magic and intrigue as well!



Why do you write what you write?

Simple - because it's my favourite reading matter. I have loved fantasy ever since reading Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave when I was fourteen, and ever since, that imaginary medieval world and stories set there have shared a special place in my heart along with with historical fiction and non-fiction.


How does your writing process work?

First I get a character and a situation. These come pretty well fully developed - I know my character's name, occupation, social status, interests, family make-up and lots of other things - even their horoscopes! All I can do is start writing and hope the story will take shape as I work. When I first started to write fiction, I had heaven's own job trying to get a plot outline in advance. I just had to keep writing a mish-mash until I reached the end and then I had to bring some structure to bear. I'm getting better at this now!


No comments: