Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

How To Hurt Your Hero - The Latest

I just love Jordyn Redwood's web site. It's one of those things that makes the Internet so wonderful. If you're an Aussie writer who was doing fan fiction back in the eighties you might remember a lady called Mary G.T.Webber, a doctor, whose article "How To Hurt Your Hero" was so very popular because it told enthusiastic fan writers what they could and couldn't do to their heroes in their hurt/comfort stories. ( I'm still giggling over the woman whose hero broke his spleen and she wasn't the worst of them). That was years before the Internet and even now it can be hard to be sure which web sites have got it right. But Redwood's Medical Edge is a blog written by an experienced emergency room nurse who is, herself, a writer. She knows what she's talking about and so do her guest writers, one of whom has, in the latest post, answered the question of a writer who wants her heroine hurt badly by glass in the back in a car crash.

If you're a writer who wants to injure your character and you'd like to get it right, do check out this blog. Even when she's not answering writing-related questions, her guest biggers are talking about fascinating medical conditions of famous people in history. A great blog!

On a totally unrelated matter, it was On This Day in 1957, October 4, that Sputnik went into orbit, exciting the SF fans and scaring the US government. But it started the space race and if that was about military applications, it did lead to better reasons for going to space and a "sensawunda"(sense of wonder) that makes me love science fiction with a passion I feel for no other genre.

2 comments:

Lan said...

I remember you writing about this website a while ago. I'm going to put it on my blog roll so I can learn how to hurt my characters properly! I'm tad violent in my stories so this will definitely come in handy.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Yes, do follow it. She posts regularly too, and if you have a basic question to ask, you can ask.