Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Just Finished Reading...

Some of this is on ebook, some print. I managed to get three of the shortlisted titles for this year's CBCA awards on iBooks - I'm still waiting at school for the print versions, which tend to go out of stock the minute the shortlist is announced. Of those three, I have just finished reading Jackie French's Pennies For Hitler and Neil Grant's The Ink Bridge - still reading Doug Macleod's The Shiny Guys. I have just finished Myke Bartlett's Fire In The Sea, which I downloaded from iBooks while the author was speaking at Reading Matters. A nice entertaining fantasy adventure which the kids will enjoy if I can ever get it in print.

This evening I finished Stephen Chbosky's The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, which I bought for the library on student requests and I must say it was nice to have further requests from them for some of the classic novels mentioned in it. I haven't seen the film, but I became curious and I believe that if it doesn't become a classic(I suspect it will) it may at least be the cause of reading classics. The hero, Charlie, is doing a class in advanced English and has a teacher who gives him a stack of books such as To Kill A Mockingbird, The Catcher In The Rye, On The Road, Hamlet and some F. Scott Fitzgerald books - actually, there are about fourteen classics mentioned in the novel. In general, it's a coming-of-age, very well-written.

I will rustle up whichever of the books we have on our shelves and maybe do a special display on this novel and those mentioned in it.

Time to return it and grab something else. I believe we have quite a few of the Inky long list in the library. - next on the agenda!

2 comments:

Sarah Allen said...

I really need to read Wallflower. Soon.

Sarah Allen
(From Sarah, with Joy)

Sue Bursztynski said...

I think you'll enjoy it. I am considering reading a passage for this year's Banned Books Week Virtual Readout, maybe some of the bits that would have been the cause of the challenges. ;-)