Search This Blog

Saturday, September 05, 2015

Real And Literary Dads

First, happy Father's Day to all the Dads in my family - my nephews David and Mark, my brother-in-law Gary and my brother Maurice.

My own wonderful Dad passed away nearly six years ago and is still terribly missed by all of us. He was the silver surfer who discovered the Internet in his eighties and read the papers online every day, as well as Googling me regularly. He built me a literary shrine that consisted of colour copied book covers of all my books to date, the first page of my first sale and photocopies of every newspaper reference to me. He would come over when I was out, do repairs and leave a note with one of his delightful cartoons of himself smiling broadly at me. He built me three floor to ceiling book cases and transformed an ancient office desk into something people pay $$$$ for.


Literary Dads I'd love to have in my family start with Atticus Finch from To Kill A Mockingbird. I haven't yet read the second book, I must explain. I do have it, but am making myself wait till I have finished my reread of the first book.

But really, wouldn't you love to have such a wise, wonderful Dad in your family? He is gentle, kind, firm, all at once. He can shoot amazingly when he needs to, but won't otherwise.

If I couldn't have mine, I wouldn't mind having a Dad like Mr Stanton, the hero, Will's, father in Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising series. He is also wise and comforting, a person in his own right,  not just Dad; usually in children's fiction, parents are missing so the kids can have adventures.  He won't stand for racism, among other things. And it can't be easy being the father of so many, very different kids!

Speaking of which, you can't possibly not love Arthur Weasley in the Harry Potter books - he is funny, gentle, wise in his own way, but quirky  and over the top. And brave, no question about it! He and Molly make a great couple - and face it, he needs her!

In that same series there is Ted Tonks, a minor character who only appears in the last book, but is one to respect. He's the father of "don't call me Nymphadora" Tonks, and falls foul of the Deatheaters. It's nice that his grandson is named for him.

Do you have any favourite literary Dads?


No comments: