Search This Blog

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Finally Reading... Blood Queen by Rhiannon Hart and Jump by Sean Williams

My friend Rhiannon Hart, whose first two books in the Lharmell series were published by Random House Australia, kindly offered me a copy of the final volume, Blood Queen, which she has self published. It has taken me a while to finally get stuck into it and there will be a review when it's done. So far, oh, dear, spoilers, and how do I do the review without releasing them? One thing, though, you do have to have read the first two to be able to follow this one, so why not read them while you wait for my review?

The second book I have FINALLY got around to, is Jump, the first of the Twinmaker trilogy by Sean Williams, published by Allen and Unwin. I really had to, because guess what the publishers have sent me for reviewing? Right! The third volume! I may see if I can get Volume 2 from the lovely Clare Keighery, if I promise to review that too. And I must admit, Jump is proving to be an entertaining read, though I haven't so far had any interest from my library users. But you never know - recently a student borrowed and loved Ambelin Kwaymullina's Tribe trilogy and that's one that has been gathering dust. Maybe when I have read Jump myself, I can entice at least one student.

It's a YA novel on the theme of what the world might be like when you have two things that Star Trek takes for granted: the transporter and the replicator. And in this world, they are connected - quite logically, really, because if you can take things apart and put them back together, as you do with a transporter, you've got the pattern, right? So you should be able to make it. I wonder if I can get an interview with the author? We'll see.

Anyway, that's my "finally got around to reading..." What's yours?

5 comments:

Satima Flavell said...

There is nothing more frustrating than not having all the books of a trilogy!

Satima Flavell said...

There is nothing more frustrating than not having all the books of a trilogy!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Even more frustrating is when the author has only WRITTEN the first two books and years later still hasn't finished it, like Isobelle Carmody's Legendsong trilogy, which ended with a cliffhanger at the end of Volume 2... There's an entire generation of teenagers who have grown up waiting for Volume 3.

UrbanDragon said...

When I think of transporters and replicators I start thinking Sweeney Todd, I start thinking Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, in fact I start thinking I wouldn't eat the food aboard the Enterprise ;)

Sue Bursztynski said...

What, not even Kirk's chicken sandwich with tribble? Deanna Troi's chocolate desserts? :-) I've researched this, by the way, and a replicator is possible. Nanotechnology. I found this in New Scientist who researching my chapter book Grey Goo.